|Apple and Pumpkin Cake|
This recipe is perfect for Halloween festivities as it uses two of the traditional robust Autumn flavours. I took it from a wonderful book bought for us by my dad and it is really great for finding comfort food inspiration. Tom Norrington's - Just Like Mother Used to Make.
For a 20cm/8inch cake tin
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
100g plain flour
125g ground almond
1 medium apple thinly sliced
200g pumpkin thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, grease and line your tin.
2. Cream together half your butter and half your sugar until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs one by one until completely combined.
3. Fold in the flour and milk. Pour this batter into the baking tin and spread evenly.
4. Sprinkle the mixture with the ground almond and gently place on top your apple and pumpkin slices. Don't allow them to touch the sides of the tin otherwise they will burn quickly.
5. Next make the topping - melt the rest of the butter then remove from the heat. Cool for 10 minutes then whisk in the remaining eggs and sugar. Add the cinnamon. Pour over the cake.
6. Bake for one hour, checking the firmness. Allow to cool before serving.
|Apple and Pumpkin Cake - Halloween|