Sunday 21 October 2012

Rhubarb "Crumble"

Rhubarb and Greek Yogurt Crumble in a glass

Rhubarb pulling is usually between May and August but in early September the rampaging patch in my mum's garden was in dire need of a picking. We twisted off a few stem, discarded the leaves and poached the even 1cm cut stems in a honey and water syrup. I put about 3 tablespoons of honey and the same of water in a saucepan and simmered for about 20 minutes until a soft pulp emerged.



I wanted to do something a little different with the resulting fruit so I mixed a handful each of plain flour, ground almonds and sugar in a mixing bowl and rubbed in a couple of knobs of butter using my finger tips until all the ingredients resembled breadcrumbs. I baked this in a preheated oven 180c until golden, shaking about in the baking tin occasionally to ensure an even browning.

Once cooked, I spooned a bit of the rhubarb mixture into a glass and topped this with some Greek style yogurt and the crumble mixture.

An easy but impressive looking fresh and fruity dessert for any occasion!


Cocktail glass - Rhubarb Crumble

No comments:

Post a Comment